Magic Wagon's The Magic Gemstone & Hieroglyphic Spells

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Magic Wagon's The Magic Gemstone & Hieroglyphic Spells

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:55 am

Available this sunday the 20th of july!

The detailed discription is in the secret sessions on TMC and I will therefore not copy it untill MW publishes it on their website. What happens is you have a (rather small) wooden box and a brass plate. Brass plate is in the box, spectator can try to push rods through it but can not. The magician can of course. It seems very similar in operation to the Spikes Thru Coin trick with a nice brass plate and gemstone ... but hopefully with some sort of locking mechanism perhaps? Or it could be completely different in operation of course :)

Any thoughts? I'm a bit on the fence ... I have to see the photo first :) If it's too tall I may skip it, not sure yet :?

John B.
Charter Member

Re: Magic Wagon's The Magic Gemstone & Hieroglyphic Spells

Post by John B. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:22 am

I am also thinking this one over. I really like penetration effects and was thrilled with the Emperor Ring Cabinet but seriously disappointed with the Quantum Tunnel from them. As you said, it will come down to the photos and actual description.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:33 am

It measures 8 x 6 cm, and it is 5, 5 cm deep.
That's about 3x2,5", and 2 inch deep.
it must contains a clever sliding system that can be locked.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 am

Here it is: http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetai ... d=138&pa=8 - Looks beautifull, exactly as I imagined it. If the spectator indeed can push spikes through it ('each and every' hole) and nothing happens this could be a winner. Therefore there might be a locking mechanism as I can not find the spectator can examine the box in the discription.

I'm on the fence! AAARGH ... hard dicision!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:51 am

Looks nicely made but there's a lot of room in that box. My guess is the jewel in the bag is there to justify the extra space required for the trick to work. It says mechanical in operation so I guess the spikes don't flip the plate up the side but it looks like that's still what happens. Very nicely presented tho, I like the stand for the rods
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:12 am

SimonC wrote: ... My guess is the jewel in the bag is there to justify the extra space required for the trick to work ...
Good point Simon :)

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:40 am

The box cannot be examined according to the email. That's a deal breaker for me. There most likely is a lock that would easily be found if examined!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:30 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Here it is: http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetai ... d=138&pa=8 - Looks beautifull, exactly as I imagined it. If the spectator indeed can push spikes through it ('each and every' hole) and nothing happens this could be a winner. Therefore there might be a locking mechanism as I can not find the spectator can examine the box in the discription.

I'm on the fence! AAARGH ... hard dicision!
Very beautifully made I would say. My first impression looking at this trick was : this is another "mercedez class" version of spikes through coin :D isn`t it ? But I love the way they create the eygyptian story with the mystic stone behind it. The the brass plate is really cool, it should be the eygyptian Credit Card long time ago :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 am

You know what the problem is, I tend to buy magic tricks
- if I don't know how they work or
- if they are really, really clever in operation.

Perhaps that's not so good because that's not how laymen look at them. However I let me wife read the discription and after 30 seconds she said: "Isn't that like the litle round box with the spikes and coin?" ... .

Spikes Through Coin is actually a fantastic litle illusion. However it is sold in every magic said I have ever bought. I just looked in my display cabinets and I own 6 versions! There also is a brass version I believe, which I don't own.

Now most if not all versions I own tend to 'block' once in a while, and I'm pretty sure you won't have problems with this version. And of course, it looks so much more beautifull ... .

In any case I decided to let it pass. Magic Wagon is releasing a trick once a month (and will continue to do so in the future - see the article on my website (sneaky publicity ;) ) and I can better wait for a next release of theirs. I would buy everything single trick they release but as I mentioned before I just can't afford it unfortunately.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:14 am

I ordered this one. I didn't want to, but there was something inside me that was stronger than common sense...

Yes, I already broke my promise not to buy magic items anymore...

Whenever I say I don't order tricks anymore, I have always some exceptions in mind, like items made by Simon or by JohnM... and items made by Magic Wagon.

Sigh, am I a weak person :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:40 am

David DeTenyo wrote: In any case I decided to let it pass. Magic Wagon is releasing a trick once a month (and will continue to do so in the future - see the article on my website (sneaky publicity ;) ) and I can better wait for a next release of theirs. I would buy everything single trick they release but as I mentioned before I just can't afford it unfortunately.
Very nice reading stuff David and very nice magic collection too ;) By the way, the impossible glass penetration looks really good, it is very convincing and looks much better than the Fred Kaps one. I still have no idea on how it works. Really happy that I still can be fooled ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 am

vsuperanto wrote: I still have no idea on how it works.
You made my day Victor! :D

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:18 am

Impossible Glass Penetration is an excellent trick. I had the chance to purchase this trick but decided to pass. I know how it works but did not realize that the handling could be this clean. Had I seen this video before I would not have hesitated to buy the trick.

Great performance David! Your handling of the trick is very clean.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:20 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
SimonC wrote: ... My guess is the jewel in the bag is there to justify the extra space required for the trick to work ...
Good point Simon :)
I agree and maybe the gemstone is gimmicked like Tenyo's Eye of the Idol to trigger a bottom panel to move together with the brass plate to the desired position. I hope this is the method used instead of finger work because it will result to a cleaner handling of the trick.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Believe I am the only fool on this forum that has ordered this item. Yet I don't regret it, and in a members only section I will reveal some things about this item, when I have received it.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi Rob,

There are two of us! I am a sucker for hieroglyphs! Will also help in the review when it arrives.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Believe I am the only fool on this forum that has ordered this item. Yet I don't regret it, and in a members only section I will reveal some things about this item, when I have received it.
Hi Rob & John B,

I think that trick is not that bad and it is something you will not regret. It is something unique also to collect and it really looks like collector's item. Everything is beautifully made and what do we need is a good story for the routine. That`s what I love from eygyptian style magic trick. The wood box could be actually decorated with a little eygyptian`s design. Then it will fit perfect together with the brass plate.

We are still assuming the technique on how it works but we could be wrong. It could be another thing that explained by BobD. Although the principal will be as simple as spikes through coins, it is still a good trick for magicians and laymen. If David`s wife could figure that out on how it works, I think she is not anymore a laymen because she has already become a magician`s wife :D. Keep enjoy the magic guys ;)

Victor

Robert T
Charter Member

Post by Robert T » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi Rob and John B:

Looks like I'm number three.

Bob

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:43 am

BobD wrote:Impossible Glass Penetration is an excellent trick. I had the chance to purchase this trick but decided to pass. I know how it works but did not realize that the handling could be this clean. Had I seen this video before I would not have hesitated to buy the trick.

Great performance David! Your handling of the trick is very clean.
Here is David's video than Victor an Bob are referring......what a great video debut David!!......super clean.....nothing suspicious to see or to hear......love the music also.......100% baffling!!

Can I ask how long it took you all the video process?......I mean recording (how many takes?)....editing....selecting music....etc etc etc??

Can't wait for your next videos!!!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks Roberto! It took me about half a day to finish the project, including practice (but I had practiced before of course) and recording it three times. The editing of the video didn't take that long - Windows Movie Maker is easy to use I believe.
Since I am planning to make videos for a long time now (I believe the first time I told you I was going to make a video of a rare German trick with dice (which I will upload in the future ;)) was two years ago) I do have a folder full with appropriate music for magic tricks.

Regarding the new Magic Wagon trick there has been a lot of discussion here and on Themagiccafe. I don't think anyone who ordered it will be dissapointed. Some great minds will come up with a nice routine for it, and it will look beautifull as always.

As for the mechanism, the thing that bothers me the most is in the mail MW sent out they clearly wrote the mechanical chest can NOT be examined - this is the first time they say this in such an open manor, which is actually very honest of them.
Perhaps the brass plate is somewhat operated with the gemstone? I don't know ... do take in mind brass is not a material that is attracted by magnets, there's no iron in the alloy. But if the bottom of the plate was an iron alloy it could work that way. Or there is metal inside the box that operates a mechanism of flipping the plate over, but for sure it would be a very strong magnet in the stone. And it would be concidered examinable perhaps.
Also, will the brass plate flipping over make a 'click' sound?
All the above are things that concerned me and convinced me not to buy it. And yes Victor, a magicians wife is not a normal spectator, but if she is baffled I can be 100% sure other will be too :)

As someone mentioned on TMC I do not think it is as simple as the regular STC, as in the spikes turn the plate over. I'm pretty sure the flipping over mechanism will be incorporated inside the box. I also don't think the plate slides out - then it would be exactly the same as an older effect of theirs.

Anyway, I'm interested in reading what you guys think about it when you receive it, which will be soon :) And there will always a few possibilities to buy it later I'm sure ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 am

vsuperanto wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:Believe I am the only fool on this forum that has ordered this item. Yet I don't regret it, and in a members only section I will reveal some things about this item, when I have received it.
Hi Rob & John B,

I think that trick is not that bad and it is something you will not regret. It is something unique also to collect and it really looks like collector's item. Everything is beautifully made and what do we need is a good story for the routine. That`s what I love from eygyptian style magic trick. The wood box could be actually decorated with a little eygyptian`s design. Then it will fit perfect together with the brass plate.

We are still assuming the technique on how it works but we could be wrong. It could be another thing that explained by BobD. Although the principal will be as simple as spikes through coins, it is still a good trick for magicians and laymen. If David`s wife could figure that out on how it works, I think she is not anymore a laymen because she has already become a magician`s wife :D. Keep enjoy the magic guys ;)

Victor
Victor thank you for your very balanced opinion about this new MW item. I myself do not want be restricted for a purchase when an item is not examinable. The challenge is then bigger to cone up with a very good and entertaining story line.

Today I received The Magic gemstone and, although the method is not ground-breaking, it is definitely a clever method. For a layman it will be a miracle, when performed properly. You must hold it in your hand to make the Magic happen, but it is a cute little box that you will like to hold in your hand. No, it is definitely not examinable, but it has just a very sympathetic gimmick that is not complicated, so that it will never break. No locking mechanism. Sorry. The diehard Tenyoists will not like this.
I like it.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

PS I received this quicker than Simon's Blockbuster, I am still waiting for that. But I can understand that Simon doesn't send by UPS :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:55 am

It's on the way don't worry, I sent it by hare mail ;)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Correction : Simon, received your package just a minute ago! Haven't opened it yet...

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 pm

David

That was a very well done video on Magic Wagon's Impossible Glass Penetration.
You need to make more videos like it.
Now I have seen this I want one too.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"